Professor in Enviromental Research
Research director Center for Environmental Research and Impact Studies: www.ccmesi.ro
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7174-032X
Education and Training
- Habilitation, 2014, West University of Timișoara, thesis: Conservation biogeography of Romania’s protected areas and wildlife species;
- PhD Geography, University of Bucharest, 2007, advisor Professor Maria Pătroescu;
- MSc Landscape management, 1999, University of Bucharest, Faculty of Geography;
- BSc Environmental Sciences, 1998, University of Bucharest, Faculty of Geography.
- 2015 – present: Professor, University of Bucharest, Faculty of Geography (Ecology, Conservation biogeography, Conservation biology, Terrestrial biomes, Scientific writing)
- 2015 – present: Research Director, University of Bucharest, Center for Environmental Research and Impact Studies (conservation biology, conservation planning, wildlife ecology)
- Systematic conservation planning
- Environmental governance
- Social network analysis
- Reptiles ecology and conservation
- Carnivores ecology and conservation
Selection of recent publications
- Manolache S., Nita A., Ciocanea C.M., Popescu V.D., Rozylowicz L. (2018) Power, influence and structure in Natura 2000 governance networks. A comparative analysis of two protected areas in Romania. Journal of Environmental Management, 212, 54–64.
- Rozylowicz L., Nita A., Manolache S., Ciocanea C.M., Popescu V.D. (2017), Recipe for success: A network perspective of partnership in nature conservation. Journal for Nature Conservation 38: 21-29
- Nita A, Rozylowicz L, Manolache S, Ciocanea C M, Miu IV, Popescu VD (2016), Collaboration Networks in Applied Conservation Projects across Europe. PLOS ONE 11(10): e0164503
- Popescu VD, Artelle KA, Pop MI, Manolache S, Rozylowicz L (2016) Assessing biological realism of wildlife population estimates in data-poor systems. Journal of Applied Ecology, 53: 1248-1259
- Popescu DV, Rozylowicz L, Niculae IM, Cucu LA, Hartel T (2014), Species, habitats, society: An evaluation of research supporting EU’s Natura 2000 network, PLoS ONE 9(11): e113648.
- Popescu DV, Rozylowicz L, Cogălniceanu D, Niculae MI, Cucu LA, 2013, Moving into protected areas? Setting conservation priorities for Romanian reptiles and amphibians at risk from climate change. PLoS ONE 8(11): e79330.
- Cogălniceanu D, Rozylowicz L, Székely P, Samoilă C, Stănescu F, Tudor M, Székely D, Iosif R, 2013, Diversity and distribution of reptiles in Romania. Zookeys 341: 49– 76.
- Cogălniceanu D, Székely P, Samoilă C, Iosif R, Tudor M, Plăiaşu R, Stănescu F, Rozylowicz L, 2013, Diversity and distribution of amphibians in Romania, ZooKeys 296: 35-57.
- Rozylowicz L, Popescu DV, 2013, Habitat selection and movement ecology of Eastern Hermann’s tortoise in a rural Romanian landscape. European Journal of Wildlife Research 59(1): 47-55.
- Rozylowicz L, Popescu DV, Pătroescu M, Chişamera G, 2011, The potential of large carnivores as conservation surrogates in the Romanian Carpathians. Biodiversity and Conservation 20: 561–579.
Member of professional societies:
- Society for Conservation Biology
- Ecological Society of America
- British Ecological Society
- Chelonia Romania
Grants – principal investigator (selection):
- 2017-2019: A social network approach for assessing sustainability of traditionally managed grasslands in a policy-driven management context, PN-III-P4-ID-PCE-2016-0483, UEFISCDI.
- 2017-2018: Argos based applications for real time wildlife monitoring in Romania, PN-III-P2-2.1-PED-2016-0568, UEFISCDI.
- 2015-2017: Integrating social network theory into systematic conservation planning, PN-II-RU-TE-2014-4-1039, UEFISCDI.
- 2011-2016: LIFE10 NAT/RO/00740 Improving the conservation status for priority species and habitats in Iron Gates Wetlands, EU – DG Environment LIFE III.
- 2011-2014: Multi-scale spatial planning for conservation: accounting for habitat dynamics and uncertainty in planning inputs, PN-II-RU-TE-2011-3-0183, UEFISCDI.