Professor in Physical Geography
PhD coordinator since 2010, 12 postdoctoral graduates (2018)
Adress: University of Bucharest, Faculty of Geography, 1, Nicolae Bălcescu Blvd., 010041 Bucharest, Romania
Education and Training
- BSc, University of Bucharest, Faculty of Geography, 1990-1995
- MSc in Landscape sustainable management, University of Bucharest, Faculty of Geography, 1995-1996
- PhD in Geography, University of Bucharest, Faculty of Geography, 1996-2003, thesis ‘’Mountains of Timiș basin. Morphodynamics and mountain space planning and development”, published 2005, Editura Universității din București.
Scholarhip and specialization stages
- Romanian Government scholarship for PhD studies, 2000, University Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, Institute of Alpine Geography, France
- Research grant for visiting researcher, 2001, Abisko Research Station, Sweden
- Specialization in the didactics of general geography Liverpool Hope University College, United Kingdom (1999), GIS meta data bases, Agricultural Sciences University, Debrecen, Hungary (1998)
- documentation stages research grants Austria (1999), Switzerland (2004,2006), Slovenia (2005), Spain (2013)
- Current courses
Bachelor – Remote sensing, Photogrammetry, Remote sensing image analysis
Master – Elements of digital photogrammetry, Applied photogrammetry in cartography and cadastre, Applied remote sensing in GIS , Applied statistics in geomorphology, cartography and cadastre
PhD – Complex methods in spatial and temporal modelling
- Collaborator, West University of Timișoara, Faculty of Chemistry-Biology-Geography, master programme in Geographic Information Systems, course “Methods and models for remote sensing data analysis and processing”, since 2010;
- Invited professor, University of Lausanne, Switzerland, Institute of Geography and Sustainability – expert coordinator for BSc thesis (2007), courses for bachelor, master and PhD students (2015).
- Remote sensing
- Remote sensing image analysis
- Digital photogrammetry
- GIS modelling and digital cartography
- Applied geography
Selection of recent publications
- Dobre, R., Mihai, B. Savulescu, I. (2011) The Geomorphotechnical Map: a highly detailed geomorphic map for railroad infrastructure improvement. A case study for the Prahova River Defile (Curvature Carpathians, Romania), Journal of Maps, v2011, 126-137.
- Săvulescu, I., Mihai, B. (2011) Geographic information system (GIS) application for windthrow mapping and management in Iezer Mountains, Southern Carpathians. Journal of Forestry Research, 23,2, 175-184.
- Sandric, I., Chitu, Z., Mihai, B. Savulescu, I., 2011. Landslide Susceptibility for the Administrative Area of Breaza, Prahova County, Curvature Subcarpathians, Romania, Journal of Maps, v2011: 552-563.
- Savulescu, I. Mihai, B. (2011) Mapping forest landscape change in Iezer Mountains, Romanian Carpathians. A GIS approach based on cartographic heritage, forestry data and remote sensing imagery, Journal of Maps, v2011, 429-446.
- Mihai, B., Dobre R., Săvulescu, I. (2014) Geomorphotechnical Map for Railway Mainline Infrastructure Improvement. A case study from Romania, Geomorphologie,1, 1, 79-90.
- Mihai, B., Săvulescu, I., Șandric, I., Chițu, Z. (2014) Integration of landslide susceptibility assessment in urban development: a case study in Predeal town, Romanian Carpathians, Area, 46, 4, 377-388.
- Mihai, B., Nistor, C., Simion, G. (2015) Post-socialist urban growth of Bucharest, Romania – a change detection analysis on Landsat imagery (1984–2010), Acta Geographica Slovenica, 55, 1, 223-234.
- Mihai, B., Nistor, C., Toma, L., Savulescu, I. (2016) High Resolution Landscape Change Analysis with CORONA KH-4B Imagery. A Case Study from Iron Gates Reservoir Area, Procedia Environmental Sciences, ECOSMART Conference Bucharest, 200-210.
- Rujoiu Mare M., Mihai, B. (2016) Mapping Land Cover Using Remote Sensing Data and GIS Techniques: A Case Study of Prahova Subcarpathians, Procedia Environmental Sciences, ECOSMART Conference Bucharest, 244-255.
- Buterez, C., Olariu, B., Mihai, B., Rujoiu Mare, M., Cruceru, I. (2016) General map of Prahova County, Romania. A new approach, Journal of Maps, v2, 541-545.
- Nistor, C., Mihai, B., Toma, L., Cârlan, I. (2017) Photogrammetric modelling for urban medieval site mapping. A case study from Curtea de Argeș, Romania, Quaestionnes Geographicae, 36(3), 2017, 59-72.
- Mihai, B., Săvulescu, I., Rujoiu-Mare, M., Nistor, C. (2017) Recent forest cover change (2002-2015) in Southern Carpathians. A case study of Iezer Mountains, Romania, Science of the Total Environment, vol. 599-600, 2166-2174.
- Rujoiu-Mare, M., Olariu, B. , Mihai, B. A., Nistor, C., Săvulescu, I. (2017) Land cover classification in Romanian Carpathians and Subcarpathians using multi-date Sentinel-2 remote sensing imagery, European Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 50, 1, 496-508.
- Nistor, C., Mihai, B.A., Toma, L., Olariu, B., Rujoiu-Mare, M. (2017) Urban landscape change in Carpathian Mountain resorts, Journal of Maps, 13,1, 101-106.